10 Ways To Look Amazing In Your Wedding Photos
Unless you are a professional model the idea of posing for hundreds of photos on your wedding day can seem daunting.
You are probably not accustomed to being in front of the camera for hours on end.
So what can you do to guarantee an album of photographs you will want to cherish for years to come?
Here are our top tips for photogenic success:
- Do your homework by making sure to hire a photographer whose past work you admire. Taking great photographs is an art form and you want a photographer who can direct flattering poses for gorgeous snapshots of your big day.
- Decide on a scenic location. Find a spot that will provide a picturesque background and make sure you choose a site where you have full permission and time to take quality pictures.
- Have a full hair and make-up trial before your big day so that you can be extra sure you like the look you have chosen. Remember to take some photos to see how your look translates to the camera. Wear a makeup primer to keep your foundation in place and use a pressed powder to avoid excess shine.
- Relax and say cheese. It’s important to try to relax, have fun and try to be yourself. You want your pictures to capture the essence of the occasion and not to look overly posed. If you are feeling tense and uptight with all eyes on you, have a moment away from the camera, chat to your other half, then come back to it. Remember to smile and keep it natural.
- Try this model posing trick. Angle your body to the camera so that you are not posed straight on as this will create a slimmer profile. Practice versions of poses that will work for you and if you have a good side flaunt it for the camera.
- Don’t press your arms against your body. Keep a small separation between your body and your arms as this trick will make your arms appear thinner as well as helping to accentuate your waistline, making your torso appear smaller.
- Smize, as in smile with your eyes! Tyra Banks popularised the term for smiling with your eyes and it works. You know when you smile your eyes squint, the corners turn up and you look slightly up? When you pose try to replicate that look, even in non-smiling shots. The result will be a more approachable, happy look.
- Elongate your neck for a more graceful pose and keep your shoulders lifted for good posture. Tilting your chin up towards the camera will give you an elongated neck. Stand up straight and carry yourself with confidence.
- Whiten your teeth. Nothing will be more wonderfully photogenic than a pretty smile of pearly whites. Dentists who do cosmetic work will be able to offer you a zoom laser teeth whitening procedure or teeth whitening gels. You can also try a whitening toothpaste to keep your smile whiter than white.
- Remember to hold your bouquet at your hip. You don’t want to be seen to hide behind your bouquet blocking the view of your wedding gown in pictures. Instead hold your bouquet at hip level with your arm at an angle to your body.
By Jo Greene, Excalibur Press
AUTUMN/WINTER 2017 EDITION AVAILABLE TO BUY ONLINE NOW